Friday, September 5, 2008

Karaoke!

When I was growing up I had high aspirations of being a back-up singer. I liked singing and I thought I sounded ok (like every teenage girl singing into her hairbrush), but I was waaaaayyyyyy too shy to be in the spotlight. Well, somewhere along the line I accidentally became a hardware consultant, but I still sing along with the iPod at full volume. A few weeks ago Aliya asked me if I was too old to be on American Idol. Alas, until I can audition for the Senior Citizen version, I had to find a way to occupy myself. I know some of you won't believe this, but last night I sang karaoke for the first time in my life. Luckily I had Mercedes and Jasmine (Pam and Jenny) as distractions so I didn't faint. What made me decide to lose my karaoke virginity was the realization that most people singing karaoke are terrible, and most of the spectators are tone-deaf. We were wishing we were completely deaf during some of the performances.

Here's Lana's reaction to a singer so bad that the karaoke host was "helping" by singing along. He wasn't helpful enough. During this performance I heard Gia say, "Well, she's no Lori G, I know that!" :-)



And here's Lana cheering on Jasmine and Lacy's rendition of Mary Chapin Carpenter's "I Feel Lucky" (dramatization).



I wonder how many karaoke nights it will take until I'm shopping at BJ's and a fellow shopper gives "Lacy" a High-5.
.

No comments: