Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Annie

When we lost Zoe I didn't think we'd be ready for another dog anytime soon. But then I started having an email conversation with our dog trainer and she told me about the dogs and puppies from the Buxton (Maine) puppy mill that were going to be available for adoption because the breeder had been closed down by the state. While I was researching the puppy mill situation, I discovered that there's a miniature version of an Australian Shepherd. I LOVE Australian Shepherds, but they're fairly big and pretty hairy. The Mini Aussie seemed perfect for us!

I contacted the shelters but they couldn't tell me where or when the different breeds of puppies would be available. The first few puppies that went up for adoption got a lot of attention because of all the media coverage, so I started to think that even if I drove to Maine/New Hampshire to get a puppy, I might be waiting in line. Plus, I had my doubts about adopting a puppy that had been in state custody since birth.

So I went online and started looking for Mini Aussie puppies. I narrowed it down to one adorable puppy that was the right gender, the right age, and the right price. Coincidentally, her name was Zoe. Zoe lived on a horse and cattle ranch in Oklahoma (www.rocking2r.com), and within a few days she was on a plane bound for Logan Airport, and renamed Annie. Since Aliya had asked Santa for a puppy for me for Christmas, he sent her a note in the mail (left).

Annie was a little freaked out from her trip but she recovered quickly. She's the GREATEST!! She's very playful with the kids but she also loves to just lay on the lap of anyone who sits down. I've heard at least 4 people proclaim, "This dog loves me!" Actually, she loves everyone! She's incredibly smart and already housetrained. Considering that I remember passing the 100th day of accidents with Zoe (UGH!!), I was thrilled when she scratched at the door her first day here. She has learned a couple of commands and I'm sure she'll do well in her Puppy Kindergarten class next month. She will have no problem earning her Therapy Dog certification when she gets a little older. We're all very excited to have her in our family!!

No comments: