Thursday, August 30, 2007

Black Thumb

Early in the spring, Rachael mentioned that it might be a fun summer project for the kids to have a garden. I have a black thumb, but I went along with it (and eventually beyond, of course). We bought seeds and spent an afternoon planting them in an assortment of yogurt cups, peat pots, dixie cups, and assorted plastic dishes, and covered them with plastic wrap. Much to my surprise, a few days later we started seeing some results. Within a couple of weeks we had 7-9" seedlings - beans, zuccini, and yellow squash, and some smaller seedlings - cherry tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, and flowers. Around Memorial Day we planted everything in raised beds in the front yard; everything that would fit, that is. The rest (including additional plants that I couldn't resist buying at Lowes') we planted in the planter behind the retaining wall along the driveway. Everything started growing like crazy. The squash leaves were bigger than my head and there were tons of squash blossoms. We harvested beans, lettuce, at least 15 zuccini and yellow squash, and now we've got cherry tomatoes and carrots. It turned out to be a great project and I found out that I don't actually have a black thumb, I just don't have time to water plants. I feed and water my kids, myself, sometimes Ben, and the pets. How am I supposed to have time to water plants? Isn't the rain supposed to do that?


No comments: