Friday, July 18, 2008

Daryl

Last night I received a card from the security guard who performed CPR on Bernie. It came in a package with two other sympathy cards and several books of prayers and poems to help in the grieving process. He is obviously suffering through his own grief.

Dear Lori,

I hope this note finds you and your family safe at home. On July 1st when I was asked to stand the security watch at the hotel, I never imagined that I would be participating in an event that would change the lives of you and your family, as well as my own, now and in the future. After examining the course of events leading up to the medical emergency we experienced, I have come to the conclusion that I was chosen to aid and assist you through this tragedy. I also have been replaying the tape of the event over and over in my head, trying to figure out what could have been done to achieve a different result. I have started the grieving process as you and your family have, but I am at a distinct disadvantage in proceeding through the process. The problem that I have discovered is that I don't know who the person was that we lost and I don't understand or comprehend their immense and distinct value to you, your family, and the world.

I wish you to pardon me if I am being too forward or personal in this request. It would aid me greatly in my recovery if you and your family could share some information and history of your father. This would help give me a greater perspective of who he was and what he stood for. It seems that we are dealing with the same situation from different perspectives. I am still pondering the reasons that we were brought together and connected together for the rest of our lives. I hope the future may hold for us being friends. You and your family are good, loving, and godly people. It was an honor to have served you, to know you, and hopefully become better acquainted in the future.

I found the following poem on the front of a card and think it fits our situation very well:

GODISNOWHERE

It can read "God is nowhere" or "God is now here."
Like anything else in my life of any significance,
the way I see it always depends on how I look at it.

Take care of yourself and your family. Be safe and keep a positive perspective. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely, Daryl
.

No comments: