Sunday, July 6, 2008

Southern Hospitality

When Bernie passed away we were staying at the Renaissance Hotel, a Marriott property in Charleston. I have never experienced such hospitality and kindness. When we checked in the front desk receptionist, Ina, was very friendly and gave us 8 free breakfast coupons to use during our stay. I asked about Ginny and Bernie when we checked in, but she was unable to find their names in the computer. At 5:31 a.m., Ina called me and said, "I think you said that Bernie Leonard was your father?" I wasn't about to split hairs at 5:31 a.m. so I said, "Yes..." She said, "I think you should know that the paramedics are in his room right now."

When I ran downstairs to head for the hospital, the security guard, Daryl, ran across the street to the parking garage, helped me find the car (Ben had parked it), and then went down to use his card to open the gate and let me out. Everyone at the hospital was professional and kind. When we came back to the hotel Daryl was waiting at the front desk, and when I told him that Bernie had passed away he gave me a huge hug and helped me get a new room for Ginny immediately. He went with me to their first room to pack up all of their luggage and move it to Ginny's new room. I later learned that he had performed CPR on Bernie and a plaque will be placed in the lobby to honor his efforts.

Everyone in the hotel expressed their condolences and gave us hugs and did anything they could to help. The hotel manager was on vacation but she called and left a message to say how sorry she was and that she would see us the next day. She contacted us several times the next day to make sure we had everything we needed. When we asked for directions to the crematorium, she had the hotel car service take us. The concierge stopped by our table to tell us a story about his grandmother passing on. The woman who served our breakfast both mornings, Marie, was unbelievably attentive and brought us extra food and coloring books for the kids. She loaded up take-out boxes for Ginny, who was in her room on the phone most of the day. The first morning Marie gave me her business card and said that if I needed her to take the kids for a while she lived about 5 minutes away. I was so touched.

Yesterday Ginny left a message with the crematorium's answering service wondering when Bernie's ashes would be ready. A few minutes later Ginny got a call from an employee of the crematorium, saying that he was on his way to get the ashes and would meet us halfway. I was shocked. He postponed a trip to the beach with his kids, on Saturday of July 4th weekend, and drove more than an hour to meet us.

I truly have never experienced such overwhelming kindness. I can't imagine what it would have been like if we had been staying at another hotel or in another city. I will be a loyal Marriott customer for life. 5 Stars.
.

No comments: