Thursday, August 7, 2008

As We Age... (Thanks Dana!)

Since I work in a male-dominated industry and some of the men I work with seem to have forgotten that I'm actually female, I have experienced some of their quirks from the perspective of a fly on the wall. Like the time one of my coworkers who shall go unamed lifted a cheek and ripped a big fart even though I was sitting at the next desk. One male behavior that has always amazed me is when they criticize random women on the street..."She could afford to skip a meal"...when they are in no position to be throwing stones, if you know what I mean.

This email struck a chord:

Have you ever been guilty of looking at others your own age and thinking, surely I can't look that old? Well...you'll love this one...

My name Alice Smith and I was sitting in the waiting room for my first appointment with a new dentist. I noticed his DDS diploma, which bore his full name.

Suddenly, I remembered a tall, handsome, dark-haired boy with the same name had been in my high school class some 30-odd years ago. Could he be the same guy that I had a secret crush on, way back then? Upon seeing him, however, I quickly discarded any such thought.

This balding, grey-haired man with the deeply lined face was way too old to have been my classmate. After he examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended Morgan Park High School.

"Yes. Yes, I did. I'm a Mustang," he gleamed with pride.

"When did you graduate?" I asked.

He answered, "In 1975. Why do you ask?"

"You were in my class!" I exclaimed.

He looked at me closely. Then that ugly, old, bald, wrinkled, fat assed, grey-haired, decrepit, son-of-a-bitch asked: "What did you teach?"
.

No comments: