Monday, August 11, 2008

F*** It! Chuck It!

I spent 3 hours this afternoon getting rid of the piles and piles of paper in my office. We filled a huge dumpster and a gigantic recycling bin with stuff from our 5000 SF office space and it's hard to tell that anything's gone. Some of it was painful to let go of, so whenever someone hesitated ("Maybe someone could use this someday...") we would yell out our new motto which is inappropriate for my younger blog readers, so don't get me in trouble with your moms by repeating it. I went through at least 10 stacks of paper a foot high each, plus 3 big boxes which I had hidden under my desk during previous clean-ups, 20 rolls of blueprints, and other assorted junk. I hesitated over a whoopie cushion but Jeremy reminded me that it had been replaced with my remote-control fart machine (more about that in another post). I did save the Von Duprin glasses I'm sporting in the picture. If you're not a hardware nerd you may not know that Von Duprin manufactures the Cadillac of panic hardware (the things you push on to open the door of the school). Apparently someone thought sunglasses with the Von Duprin logo would inspire customers to buy lots of panic hardware.
.
The most amazing thing I found is my monthly budget from 1992...the good old days when life was simple...no mortgage, no day care, not even a room-mate. I actually budgeted for clothes ($200/month) and CD's ($50/month)! I had a plan for paying off all of my debts with the next few paychecks, except my $2500 student loan. Times have changed.

Rent...................$550
Student Loan........$61
Phone..................$40
Electric................$50
Food..................$200
Credit Cards.......$200
Magazines...........$18
Gas Bill................$15
Haircut.................$25
CD's....................$50
Clothes..............$200
.
Grand Total........$1409
.

No comments: