Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Rainbow Connection

Last weekend on our way home from camp we saw a beautiful rainbow. It appeared as soon as we got on the highway and disappeared as we got off the exit at home. Aliya commented that maybe God let Bernie shake down some sprinkles to make the rainbow for us. On the way from Albany to camp with Ginny less than a week later there were 3 rainbow sightings. As it turns out there are many myths about rainbows and heaven, so maybe Aliya's idea isn't such a crazy one.

Here are some myths relating to rainbows: http://www.zianet.com/rainbow/frrelig.htm
Here are some gorgeous rainbow photos: http://www.missouriskies.org/rainbow/february_rainbow_2006.html
Here are some accounts of ADC's (after-death communications), with rainbows being the second most common example (after butterflies): http://butterflywebsite.com/discover/bfliesandrainbows.cfm

Several years before my grandmother died, I wrote to her that I wanted her to try to send me a sign after her death. We never discussed it but during her funeral I was out in the vestibule with Aliya, who was about 19 months old. I looked out the front doors of the church and saw 3 signs directly across the street. The signs said, "OK Services", "The Hairafter", and "Family Fun Time." I've always thought that was my sign from her...I could just picture her in the hereafter having fun with her family. I guess she thought the funeral service was just "ok". :-) The day Bernie died I was laying in bed in our hotel room with my knees up, halfway between awake and asleep. I felt a hand on my knee and I heard Bernie say, "I love ya, kid." It may have been a dream or my imagination, but I choose to believe it was Bernie telling me he loved me one last time.

Here are the lyrics to one of my favorite songs, The Rainbow Connection:

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side
Rainbows are visions, they're only illusions
And rainbows have nothing to hide

So we've been told and some choose to believe it
But I know they're wrong wait and see
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers, and me

Who said that every wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that and someone believed it
And look what it's done so far

What's so amazing that keeps us star gazing
What do we think we might see
Someday we'll find it, that rainbow connection
The lovers the dreamers and me

Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices
I've heard them calling my name
Are these the sweet sounds that called the young sailors
I think they're one and the same

I've heard it too many times to ignore it
There's something that I'm supposed to be
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me



.

No comments: