Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Finally! No More Tile!

When we first looked at our house I really liked the kitchen, probably because it was brand new.  However, the longer I've had to live with the tile countertops, the more I've hated them.  The grout joints between the tiles are impossible to clean and I don't even want to know what's lurking in there.  Plus they look like hell.

A few weeks ago I was browsing around in Home Depot enjoying the solitary shopping time, and I noticed that they were having a promotion.  If you purchased a countertop that was more than 25 square feet, you got a free under-mount sink (usually about $300) and a free edge upgrade (usually $15-$25 / linear foot).  Then, like a sign from above, I got a coupon for 10% off and no interest for a year.

Today was the last day for the 10% off, so I made an appointment and took my little drawing in to my new friend George.  He told me that I couldn't use my coupon because it wasn't good on installed products.  I thought that was strange because while I was waiting for him I noticed a similar card stuck right to the Silestone display.

We went through the whole estimate process, and while he was printing it out, I went to check out the card on the display.  It said 10% off on laminate and installed countertops.  Our new countertop isn't laminate, but it is installed, so I asked him if it would apply.  Low and behold, it DID apply, so I got another 10% off.  WOOHOO!!!

The best part is that the old countertop doesn't have to be removed for the template to be made, so we don't have to live without countertops for weeks like we would have if this was done a few years ago.  Within about a month we should have a nice shiny new countertop, sink, and faucet.  The color, Absolute Green, is similar to the tile we have now, but it will be such an improvement.  We are also adding a bar-counter in the pass-thru window so the kids can sit at the counter in the family room and eat, rather than at the pub table we have there now.

The low point of the Home Depot experience was when I asked the guy standing around in Plumbing to help me with some faucet questions.  His answer..."It's YOUR kitchen.  What do you want me to tell you?"  What a dickhead!  When I asked my questions he was SO RUDE.  Finally I just dismissed him and sorted through the zillion options myself.  I HATE RUDE PEOPLE!!  

The photo is not our kitchen, but it shows the color.  I can't wait!
.

No comments: