Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"The Talk"

The other day Ben and I were talking about the Jaycee Dugard case and Aliya kept asking questions about how the kidnapper had two daughters with Jaycee.  I told her that we'd talk about it later hoping that she'd forget for a few years, but tonight she brought it up again.  I was careful only to answer the specific questions she had and not to give her too much information, but when I told her about the sperm and the egg, her next question was how the sperm got to the egg.

I took a deep breath and then explained where the sperm was ejected from and where the egg was hanging around waiting for the sperm, and that seemed to satisfy her.  She didn't ask for details of the transfer, and I didn't have to draw pictures like my friend Lana did.  It was actually good that she was thinking about it in the context of strangers.  Eventually it will strike her that I have first-hand knowledge of the transfer, and I'm guessing there will be additional questions.

For all of you who aren't ready to share this information with your daughters, I told her several times that this is a conversation that only mothers and daughters should have, and that she is not to talk about it with her friends.  If you find out that she told someone, let me know so I can further reinforce that I have eyes in the back of my head and the walls have ears.
.

No comments: