Monday, December 1, 2008

Knobs Knockers and Butts

A few weeks ago I spent the entire week at the Boston Convention and Exposition Center, for the annual Door and Hardware Institute national convention. The first three days were a class to become a Fire Door Assembly Inspector. Yes, I have a new set of initials after my name for you to make fun of. I may not be an MD, a PHD, a PE, even a DVM, but I'm an AHC, CDC, CCPR, and an FDAI, which took a total of 40 hours worth of tests to achieve. I know what you're thinking...BFD, but if you have any doors that need to be inspected, I am now qualified to help you out. Aliya was disappointed that I didn't get a 100 on my test but accepted my lack of perfection when she found out that I wouldn't have to retake the class and be away for another three days.

On Thursday, my duties as a member of the convention host committee were to put a bunch of spouses on a bus for their tour of Boston, attend a 4-hour session on how the inspection of fire doors is going to change our industry, and spend a few hours at the opening reception for the trade show. Imagine more than a hundred booths full of the latest and greatest in doors and hardware! What's more fun than that?!

On Friday morning I finally taught the class that I've been obsessing about for months. I had to entertain and educate about 100 architects for 3 hours on the scintillating topic of building code requirements for doors and hardware. Ever since my mother called my architectural college "Cow College" because they also had an agricultural program, I've become somewhat of an overachiever within the confines of my career choice. I may not be curing cancer or running for president, but I'm pretty good with doors and hardware. Jenny will vouch for me if you're a non-believer. So I was nervous as heck about teaching my class - what if I fainted, wet myself, or went into a fugue state? My friend and coworker Bob Karrer helped get me past my bad case of nerves with lots of advice including black pants so the pee wouldn't show.
.
The class went REALLY well, and I got lots of good press and positive feedback...it was even mentioned in the daily newsletter received by convention attendees:
.
One of the most popular sessions offered this year was a course offered specifically for architects and specifiers on what changes have been made to the Massachusetts Building Code.
.
"Lori did a wonderful job of distilling all the revisions of the code documents and presenting them in a way that's easy to understand," said Craig Chabot, AHC/CDC.
.
"She's very professional," agreed Ron Roberge of Solomon & Bauer. "With a new code coming out this has been very helpful."
.

It was a fun week but I'm very glad it's over.
.

No comments: