Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dr. B (Update)

This morning I took all 3 kids to see their new dentist - Dr. B., who is Dr. C's partner. They took us all into the exam room where we watched a cartoon about - what else? - going to the dentist. Then the kids each had a turn in the chair, where Dr. B took their photo with a web-cam to put into their record, counted their teeth, measured their spacing, checked their bite, etc. As each of them finished he pressed a button and a hygienist magically appeared to whisk them upstairs. He spent a little extra time on Norah since it was her first visit, but she was very cooperative for an almost-3-year-old.

While I was downstairs with Norah, all hell was breaking loose upstairs because Adlani didn't like the taste of the toothpaste. ANY of the flavors. He was pushing the hygienist's arm away, tearing off his bib, and jumping out of the chair, while crying actual tears. I did what I could to help and then Dr. B took me aside for the discussion about caring for my kids' teeth. He told me that the condition of my teeth affects the condition of my kids' teeth, which doesn't bode well for the future since I just had my 5th crown with another 2 scheduled. He gave me a food journal to fill out for each of the kids for 5 days before I come back (alone) for an appointment to discuss the plans for their treatment. Aliya has a crossbite and will need braces, which they sometimes put on as early as 9 years old.

Everyone had x-rays with no major mishaps or equipment breakage, and Norah did SO WELL with her first cleaning. She didn't cry and she followed all the directions. Aliya did too, but that's to be expected. Adlani...well, that's to be expected too. They all left with goody bags filled with loot - Disney-themed toothbrushes, floss & flossers, dental mirrors, timers for brushing, stickers, rings - they were better than some birthday party goody bags we've received! The whole office is a really warm, casual atmosphere, and everyone is SO nice. We met Dr. C but I think we'll usually be seeing Dr. B, which is just fine by me. Eye candy can't give you cavities, right?

.

No comments: