Monday, March 8, 2010

Lisa & Henry

While I was in the process of finding and adopting kittens at Christmas, there were several occasions where I wondered if I'd lost my sanity completely.  I worried that the kids would lose interest in them, leaving me to grudgingly clean the litter box for the next 15 years and then bury them in the back yard.

I'm not really a cat person.  My mother is a cat person.  We always had cats while we were growing up and I do like them, but I've got way too much going on in my life to focus on two more creatures.  I figured I'd give them a roof over their heads and two bowls of dry food per day and they'd get all the love they needed from the kids. Or so I thought. 

What I didn't realize was that we were adopting the COOLEST cats EVER!  We got them just before Christmas and the kids named them Lisa (the calico) and Henry (the tuxedo).  Close to three months later when most of their Christmas gifts are lost, broken, or forgotten, the kids still fight over who's going to play with the kittens.

And now they have to fight ME for them!  I've never known cats like these.  They are SO mellow and they just love to be held and petted.  The kids carry them around like dolls and they don't seem to mind.  So far they're not exhibiting any of that uppity cat-behavior, and they even like the dog.  She's constantly chasing them and licking them, but they keep coming back for more.

Aliya is doing her Sage project on Cat & Kitten Development and her teacher said she could bring Lisa and Henry in as part of her presentation.  Maybe they could help with the school's mouse problem.

No comments: