Thursday, October 15, 2009

Busier Than A One-Armed Paper Hanger

I always thought I knew what a one-armed paper hanger must feel like because I'm so friggin' busy all the time.  But NOW I REALLY know what he feels like.  I started physical therapy yesterday for my shoulder.  I don't know what I did to it originally, but it has been hurting off and on (mostly "on") for about 3 years.  I blame it on the kids sneaking into my bed and putting their extremely heavy heads on my upper arm, causing my shoulder to be in a weird position for long durations.
.
My chiropractor has a physical therapist who comes in twice a week, so he recommended that I have an appointment with her.  I didn't know what to expect and I figured it would hurt, but it hurts most of the time anyway and I have to be really careful what I do with my arm or I have a sharp pain and an ache that lasts for days.

So my new PT (Victoria) checked me out thoroughly and said that I have some sort of problem with the nerves and the muscles around my rotator cuff.  She's going to work on me but in the meantime she needs the inflammation to go down so she told me to just hold my arm at my side, a la Bob Dole. 

I mean come on...how the hell am I going to hold my right arm at my side for the next several weeks?  When I told Victoria that there's no way that was going to happen, she said, "Fine, you'll be in a sling for a while."  So I'm in a sling.  Honestly, I think it's a good thing because it's preventing me from doing all of the things I'm not supposed to do.  It did kind of ruin my outfit for my speaking engagement this evening, but I cheated and didn't wear it during the actual presentation. 

Here's hoping that Victoria can make some headway so I can have my arm back!
.

No comments: