Friday, October 16, 2009

Gotta Get Away??

Sometimes you just have to go...take some time off...run away. 

A few weeks ago I got an email from my friend Sherry's husband, Rob.  He asked me to call him right away because he needed help with Sherry. 

As I was waiting for him to pick up the phone I wondered what kind of help he could possibly need.  Was she stuck in a tree?  Did he forget her favorite ice cream flavor?  Had she gone missing?

Rob had decided that Sherry needed a mental health break to prevent her from going postal, and he asked me if I would go away with her for a spa weekend.  "Uuuhhhh......I'LL GO PACK!!"

As soon as I found a couple of days that I could get away, he booked two nights and two massages at a hotel spa in North Conway.  He even called Sherry's office to request two days off since I couldn't find an October weekend to go.  I was extremely impressed.

So far we've eaten a lot, strolled through LL Bean, taken a nap, and have the best looking toes in New Hampshire.  My pedicurist (is that a word?) was hugely pregnant and when I asked her about the baby she said, "It's not mine."  I thought she was joking but it turned out that she's a surrogate.  We spent most of the pedicure time talking about what it was like to be a surrogate. 

It was a very interesting conversation but I'll tell you right now, for $20K I would not go through another pregnancy and birth, not to mention the emotional ramifications.  I think it's a very admirable and wonderful thing she's doing but I'll find another way to fill my good-deed quota.
.

No comments: