Saturday, April 24, 2010

Small World ~ Smaland

My trip home from Indy was pretty uneventful. We got held up on the runway in Indy for about a half hour but I still made my flight from LaGuardia to Boston. We left NYC at 9 p.m. so it wasn't surprising to have an exhausted-looking man-child pointing at the window seat next to me. He was in his early 20's, dressed in a suit, and looked kind of like one of the Jonas Brothers. The cute one.

In the old days, I would never have gotten up the nerve to speak to him, but now that I'm old enough to be his mother it's not a problem. So we started chatting about work, etc., and he mentioned that he had just graduated from college a couple of years ago. I spent my time in Indy this week with a group of EXTREMELY young and very smart guys, so I mentioned that we have a training program for people right out of college.

Mr. Jonas said that he had a friend in a program like ours and the company was based in Indy. His friend works for us! Not only that, he's a guy that contacted me because of my other blog and we've been trying to get together for lunch. It really is a small world.

Yesterday was the last weekday of school vacation, and since I had escaped for 2 1/2 days, I was on duty.  We started the day by getting the house back in order, and then went to our favorite bagel joint.  I was thinking that we would go to a playground, zoo, museum, or someplace that would be over-run by families trying to make the most of the last vacation day, but when I said that I needed to go to IKEA, the kids went wild. 

They LOVE going to the playroom there (Smaland).  I don't understand the attraction because the playroom has a big shoe, a couple of fake trees, a ball pit that is frequently closed for de-urination or de-vomitation, a coloring station, and a TV showing a movie they've already seen 100+ times.  Who am I to argue, though?  I was able to find the pieces and parts I needed for our new basement storage shelving in relative peace. 

More on the basement storage shelving later.

.

No comments: